On the vast web, there are poor websites and then there are professional websites. What separate them are some common web design
mistakes. These mistakes that a poor website has users, frustrate them by being slow, by not providing the right content in the right way, and eventually, they drive users away. With them goes revenue. On the other hand, a professional website doesn’t have such mistakes. And they perform well on the web.
Avoid these website design mistakes. And if you have a poor website, then it will start working like a professional one. The list below can also be used as a checklist. With them, check whether your website is making these mistakes or not.
These common website design mistakes are as follows:
- Poor search box: Lots of websites keep a search box but the problem is it doesn’t work properly. It’s not powerful enough to search and provide results users want. And in many cases, either there is search box in a part of the website that’s not easily seen or there is no search box at all.
Search box is a very useful tool within a website that helps users get to the information or things they are looking for in a short time. So, it’s advised to any website designer and website owner to have a fully functioning search box.
- Low-resolution images: Images are supposed to capture users’ attention, but so many websites use low-resolution images and instead of grabbing attention, they drive users away. And another image-related mistake is use of too many images within a single web page.
What web designers and website owners have to keep in mind is that humans are visual beings. So using high-resolution images in a website is always a plus point. They will capture attention and help users to stay longer on a website.
- Audio and video that starts automatically: You have faced this problem. You go into a website and within a second either an audio or a video starts to play automatically. And in some cases, there isn’t even a mute button. This mistake compels users to click back more than poor search bar and images.
What can be done is if there is an audio or a video kept in a website, then it shouldn’t start to play instantly. Users should be given a choice whether to play it or not.
- Slow loading: Speed is a very important thing when it comes to website. When your website takes a long time to load, then you are wasting users’ time. They will click back and click into faster loading websites of your competitors. And also note that slow loading websites don’t rank high in search engine result pages.
So, when you are building a website, pay huge attention to site speed. It matters in user experience and search engine optimisation (SEO).
- Windows that pop up in the start: Pop-up windows are a tried and tested tactic to get users to sign-up or download something. But one drawback of it is appearing in the start i.e. popping up the moment users enter a website. Studies have found that pop-up windows that appear in the beginning are ineffective and irritating to users. The ideal time for windows to pop up is when users have completed reading blog posts or articles or when they have done something that’s expected. In other words, after a considerable time has passed.
So, take this advice: don’t have windows that pop up the second users get into your website. Make them appear after a good length of time has gone. That’s so much effective.
- Unnecessary, complicated registration forms: When we browse the web and then when we are forced to fill up registration forms to move ahead in our way, then we are surely going to feel irritated and we did have felt so. So will users feel the same about registration? Simple, brief forms to fill are okay. But complicated ones that ask too much from us is a big no-no.
Understand when and where registration is absolutely required. Apart from such places, don’t keep registration forms. Doing so will ease the browsing of your users and keep them happy.
- Un-updated and unoriginal content: Content is as much part of a website as navigation menus and URLs. Without content, no website is complete. But, content is necessary doesn’t mean a website can be filled with content that’s duplicated and not relevant as per current times. This is one major mistake websites make on the web. They have unoriginal content and content is not updated as per times and situations.
Original and updated content has a high value on the web. It helps a website to rank high and to be found easily on the web. And also to attract and convert casual clickers into customers.
- Lack of SEO: Nowadays SEO is an essential aspect of a website. It’s highly required to be found on the web. But lots of website designer freelancer and website owners dismiss it for just another internet marketing tactic. They aren’t aware of the advantages of search engine optimisation (SEO).
So, don’t make such mistake as others make. While building a website, make sure it’s search engine friendly. When SEO of a website is taken care from the beginning, then its chances of top-ranking is higher than those websites that adopt SEO later.
The list of web design mistakes can go on and on. There are lots of things that haven’t been included. They will be compiled and explained in some other blog post. In this post, the eight mistakes listed above are common and big ones which have to be avoided by web designers and website owners at any cost. Like said in the beginning of this post, stop making these mistakes and you will have a professional website that works well and brings in good revenue.
So, go over them once again. Print them and post them somewhere you can see easily. And ensure your website doesn’t make these eight mistakes.