The page URL plays an important role when it comes to search engine optimisation. In the past, everyone had their own way of creating page URL but since when Google announced properly optimised URL is a ranking signal, it has become a common practice to create SEO friendly URLs.
Most of the opensource and commercial systems offer to create SEO friendly URLs but the question is is that enough?
And the answer is NO. You have to think, plan and apply creativity to create the most suitable URL for your page.
How to create SEO friendly page URL?
Before you think about creating SEO friendly URL think about about the importance of the page first.
You should pay special attention to your primary where you may have most of your ranking. For your secondary pages, just creating user-friendly URL based on page title and keywords should do.
- Keep your URL short and descriptive.
- Your URL should reflect the page title and content.
- Make sure to include the main keywords in your URL.
- Separate words by using dahs (-).
Things to avoid while creating an SEO friendly URL
If possible avoid following to ensure your page link can be optimised properly.
- Avoid too long URL unless you have a solid reason.
- Avoid using Page ID parameters. Example: example.com/how-to-optimise-page-url?page_id=101
- Use canonical URL if you need to use additional parameter enhance user experience.
- example.com/buy-samsung-galaxy-phone (Canonical)
- Use dash(-) instead of underscore(_) to separate words.
- If possible avoid any page extension. It doesn’t have any negative side to SEO but if possible keep it clean. Also, it saves you space in URL display.
- example.com/seo-best-practices (Preferred)
How to create the most SEO Optimises Page URL?
There is a difference between creating an SEO friendly URL and properly optimise URL.
- example.com/sony-bravia-75-inch-tv (OK)
- example.com/buy-sony-bravia-75-inch-led-smat-tv (Better)
There is no limit to creativity in keeping the URL most optimised.
Here are things you can consider to create the most optimised page URL
- If possible create the page URL at the end or have the option to change before going live. This is to make sure you can do last-minute changes.
- Consider the max length google can display in the search snippets, keep it around the same length.
- Include your top keywords and also frame the URL based on the most common search pattern.
Note: A slight focus can help you ran slightly hire.
URL management for WordPress
WordPress is one of the best CMS systems when it comes to URL management.
Go to WP Admin >> Settings >> Permalinks to choose your preferred URL.
The most common option is “Post Name” which is the 2nd last option.
SEO Impact with URL change
You must plan your system in a way that if you change your URL then the old URL must redirect to the new one. Permanent redirection must be a 301 redirect.
Now, the old URL must have a permanent 301 redirection to the new one.
Page URL with and without a forward slash at the end
You can plan to have with or without a forward slash at the end.
But whatever you choose, you should stick to that.
Technically URL with and without a slash is considered as different and Google also treats in the same way.
The most ideal scenario is if the system can redirect to preferred if someone used the other accidentally.
You can hire an expert or SEO freelancer to help you optimise for SEO.
It depends. Many news websites keep the year in their URL which indicates when it was published. If you would like your content to look evergreen then avoid displaying year.
If the change is permanent then use a 301 redirect. This will ensure you will not lose SEO ranking.